Work permit in UK also known as work papers, it is a document of authorization to work in a particular country, the document includes, a description of the work to be performed, the hazards involved, the precautions to take, the required authorizations, and other elements.
The UK Work Visa categories are designed to attract professionals from all industries to occupy key positions. Some UK Work visas allow for extended visa options which may lead to permanent residence. Checkout to see also work permit in USA
UK work visas require applicants to have a job offer before they can apply. Visas can be granted from one day up to 5 years
and processing takes approximately 3 weeks to a month from the time the application is received.
Nationals of certain countries will have to also apply for clearance to arrive in the UK.
It is very important to note that the UK Company offering you a position must have a sponsor license in order to issue you with a certificate of sponsorship before you can apply for the visa.
How to get Work permit in UK
Before you can apply you must satisfy the following work permit requirements:
- Have received a confirmed offer of employment from a licensed UK employer who will act as your sponsor; and
- Be in possession of a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your sponsoring employer; and
- Pass the points-based assessment, details of which can be found on the category specific work permit pages listed below.
There are three main categories of UK work permit we advise on These are:
- Tier 2 General – Skilled Worker
- Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer
- Tier 2 Sportsperson Visa
The work permit application process is led by the employer who is responsible for issuing you (the applicant) with a Certificate of Sponsorship.
Employers who want to know more about Tier 2 work permits are advised to read our section on Tier 2 visa information for employers.
Work permit in UK (General Category) & Permanent Residency
As a UK work permit holder you can qualify for permanent residence if you have lived and worked in the UK for a minimum of five years.
Once you have satisfied the five year requirement you may qualify for Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK, which can be then be followed by British Naturalization as a UK citizen.
Intra-Company Transfers & Permanent Residency
As a UK work permit holder under the ICT category, you can qualify for permanent residence if you have lived and worked in the UK for a minimum of five years
and was granted a Tier 2 intra company transfer visa under the rules in place before 6th April 2010 or had previous leave as a qualifying work permit holder.
Once you have satisfied the five year requirement you may qualify for Indefinite Leave to remain in the UK (ILR), which can be then be followed by British Naturalizations as a UK citizen.
Changes of Employment
If you wish to change employers you must get a new Certificate of Sponsorship from a licensed employer.
You will also need to undergo a reassessment against the current points test and the position will need to satisfy the advertising requirements of the resident labor market test ,
you have to also understand that it is in the case where it is available for you to change your Job.
UK Work Visa: Eligibility, Documents, Fees, and Application Process
before getting the work visa you must attain to the requirement min mother to have access to the work, and they are the following:
UK Work Visa
The Home Office of the UK allows eligible students to get a UK Work Visa (Tier 2 General Visa) after completing their study if they are eligible to do so on all the applicable grounds.
After acquiring the work visa, students can pursue jobs in Engineering, Medicine, Management, and various other sectors within the UK.
This includes completing their courses successfully by holding a degree that makes them worthy of securing a job.
The students need to get a job with the licensed Tier4 sponsor within a timeframe of 3 months after making their application for the Tier 2 work visa.
International students are allowed to stay for a period of 2 years in the United Kingdom once they have received the work visa after completing their graduation.
This new rule gives international students graduating in the UK to obtain a work permit for a period of two years through which they can live and work in the country legally.
This can be a pathway to become a permanent resident also by obtaining an “indefinite leave to remain (ILR) Visa ”.
This allows the applicants to file an ILR application if they have completed 5 years of stay in the UK after their studies or for work in the UK.
It can take around 6 months time to obtain the ILR visa if all the requirements are met by the applicant within the timeline. see also work permit in Canada
UK Work Visa: Eligibility
To be eligible for the UK Work Visa, one must fulfill the following requirements.
- On the point table, you need to score a minimum of 70 points based on age, skills, qualification, salary earned, etc.
- The applicant must be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with 2 years of skilled work experience. The occupation must be on the list of eligible occupations.
- Possession of a valid job offer from a Home Office licensed sponsor is a must. This job offer should be at the required skill level – RQF 3 or above (A-Level and equivalent)
- In the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, the applicant needs to have a minimum B1 level of English.
- A general salary threshold is 20,800 GBP for first-timers and 30,000 GBP for experienced applicants.
- The employer is responsible for issuing the Certificate of sponsorship to the work permit aspirant without the application process cannot take place.
Also, check – UK English Language Criteria for more information.
How to apply for a UK Work Visa?
For submitting the application for UK Work Visa, mainly three steps are there:
- After you receive an offer of employment from a licensed employer who is authorized to sponsor employees from outside the country.
- The sponsor or the employer will hire you only after verifying that you have the necessary skills to do the job and meet all the qualifications and requirements to be eligible for the work visa.
- After satisfying all the conditions, one will be issued the certificate of sponsorship which is the main requirement for applying for the UK Work Visa
Applying for Visa Outside UK
- The visa is to be applied through VFS offices in other country
- You will be required to prove your identity and provide supporting documents as part of the application.
- In this process, the applicants may have to provide their biometrics and their photographs may be taken at the VFS office.
- The VFS or concerned office may ask to use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app that allows scanning the identity document like passport. The applicants will also be able to create and/or sign into the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account. The VFS office will guide the applicants about what else needs to be done.
- It is possible that one will need to make an appointment for this process.